In this blog, I will cover a quick introduction of TKG and a couple of use cases and real challenges which can be solved using this :
What is Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG)?
Streamline operations across multi-cloud infrastructure.https://tanzu.vmware.com/kubernetes-grid
- TKG is an enterprise Kubernetes Orchestration library to manage container and other Kubernetes cluster objects and lifecycle of K8s cluser of clusters .
- TKG uses latest Kubernetes upstream Cluster API which manages multiple K8s clusters lifecycle.
- It can spawn to multi nodes/VMs.
- Running K8s containers at scale in production – especially for mission critical workloads in day 2 operation- gets very complex. Hard to manage a Kubernetes runtime consistently and securely, especially if you are running in multiple DCs / AZs on cloud.
- TKG provides enterprises with a consistent, upstream aligned, automated multi-cluster operations across SDDC, Public Cloud, and Edge environments that is ready for end-user workloads and ecosystem integrations.
- TKG does for Kubernetes what Kubernetes does for your containers.
- It provides integrations with public cloud like AWS and also open sources support:
- Harbor – Image Registry
- Concourse – CI/CD pipeline tool
- Velero – K8s backup
- Contour – K8s Ingress Controller
- KubeAdm – Manage cluster lifecycle
- dex – idP Authentication/ UAA
- Sonobuoy – diagnostic tool
- WaveFront (TO)
- APMs- Prometheus with Grafana, Wavefront and other APM tools,ELK, FluentBit
- Calico CNI with NSX-T for VM
TKG use cases
- Kubernetes Orchestration for multi-cloud and multi-clusters and manage life cycle of multiple clusters
- Platform Automation of managing cluster of K8s clusters
- High Availability, Auto-scalability
- Consistent Kubernetes across environments
- Kubernetes open source alone is not enough
- Day2 Operations Patching, Upgrade etc.
- Overhead of access, networking, security policies applied cluster-by-cluster
- Public cloud vendor lock-in
- Manual configuration and management, siloed by environment on-prem and public cloud
- On-prem management is critical